Monday 2 May 2011

One In And One Out


The ethics of the hunt have been in my thoughts this weekend. One young man had to be deleted from the blog roll after reporting that he and a friend had caught a very impressive Trout which they'd then nailed to a fence post and used as a target. My blog my rules, do one.

An interesting  conversation about the perception of hunters and hunting broke out over at Tovar's And in an unprecedented move I've added a blog with ONLY ONE POST to the blog roll, I've not added people with less than ten posts before, so this really is an unprecedented move, Artemis kicks off with a really good post about a deer management stalk where he ends up taking the pictured 'antlered doe' interesting stuff and well written too, it really does look like his blog Hunters Harvest will be that good. Stop by, say hi and encourage him to tell us another one

More soon
Your pal
SBW

9 comments:

Deus Ex Machina said...

I applaud your move. There are few things worse than torturing an animal.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

DeM

The travesty is that the trout weighed 10lbs, they foul hooked it (could have happened to anyone) took the trouble to retrive it and then used it for target practice instead of eating it. He's a kid with a house full of guns and african trophies, he's in the UK so there's defiantly an element of adult supervision, but seemingly no guidance. I don't know weather to finish on the word 'sad' or 'PATHETIC'?

Keith said...

The mind boggles re the trout! The boy needs a mentor.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

Tovar@AMindfulCarnivore said...

Good grief, that trout story is worse than I thought from your brief mention before.

murphyfish said...

Hey SBW,
Sad and pathetic covers it me thinks, what a waste of the fishes life - far better to have been upon my plate with lemon and dill and a wild garlic salad.
Regards,
John

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Chaps

Really whatchagonnado?

John - looked like it would have been champion eating. I'd have been made up to catch a fish like that. Good to see you're still reading fella - hope things are looking up.

LL - I fear the worst

Tovar - Morons walk amongst us!

SBW

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Still on a happier note
Artemis - now that's how to start a blog
SBW

LSP said...

Thanks for the Artemis tip - hunting's been a bit slow at my end, but, as every year is the 'year of the gun' there's been plenty of target practice -- just not against our friends, the Trout.

Cheers.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

LSP

I predict great thing for his blog, still short of cash but soon I'll have to come out there and give you a hand
SBW