Tuesday 1 October 2013

Education Is A Good Thing

"The Hunting season, where boys become men, and men become boys"
The Hunt  [a The Crucible for our times - very highly recommended]

On this side of the pond we have a system of voluntary hunter education, widely resisted by lots of older stalkers, widely praised by those who have attended.
The Deer Stalking Certificate is in two parts, the first like the American system - classroom and range based and the second completed afield, stalking in the presence of an accredited witness, more like the European system.
One great thing about the DSC1 is that its now recognised as a 'UK hunting licence' in europe and the states, making life easier for the traveling sportsman.

In the USofA and Canada you can take a course online for most states and provinces. Those lovely people at Huntercourse.com have the whole list, for example hunter education Alabama, and hopefully they'll come to europe soon, as I'd love to be able to study the German sylabus in english.


“There was something delightfully intimate about the relationship between predator and prey.”
Nenia Campbell,

More soon
SBW
PS If you'd like to be one of the Lovely People sponsoring this blog email me regarding your product or service. Testing 'on the hill' commences second week of next year and pre-season training will begin again soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"widely resisted by lots of older stalkers, widely praised by those who have attended."

That made me laugh.:)
Quite right its resisted! By those that know and have a choice.
The DCS1 is little more than the old BDS Woodland Stalkers Certificate test at 4 times the price.
The DSC2 is a joke.It's simply the large game handling test with 3 witnessed stalks thrown in for good measure to make it appear something that its clearly not............ an assurance of competence.
The FA and their associates like it as its a great legal cop out for them. Those who make money out of it like it as well.
Anyone who has any experience sees it for the bull shit that it really is.
Unfortunately for all the desperate newbies to the deer hunting scene in the UK, its being forced down their throats if they want to take a chance on any of the FA stalking leases.

Atb

Wilf






The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Wilf
Case in point?
SBW

Anonymous said...

"Wilf
Case in point?
SBW"

Sorry, Sten you've lost me. Far to cryptic a question for me.... care to explain?

Atb
Wilf

brandon said...

Bushwacker, this is the first time I have seen your site and I have to say I respect you for your journey.

I wish more people would take initiative as you have and I'm glad to see the progress you have made!

Keep up the great work.

BTW, My name is Brandon and I'm a founding member of Ready To Go Survival Gear - http://www.readytogosurvival.com - Feel free to reach out to me at any time if you want to have a more personal conversation. We would love to get your opinions.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Brandon

thanks for that chap, I was just thinking how little I've done in the last few weeks and just how many unfinished blog posts need to go up, so you cheered me right up.
SBW

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Wilf

I must be getting middle aged, I know two groups of stalkers in the UK, my age puts me almost in the middle.

The older guys look back to pre handgun ban days and seem to feel the same way you do. The new school only ever knew the DSC1 loved it and have used it to shoot abroad, it got them started. DSC2 has helped a few of them get the permissions they've got. As to the cost, yeah i remember when we used to fix peoples plumbing in multiples of £50, them were the days.

No piece of paper can ever be a cipher for competence, sadly the world we live in is run on box-ticking lines so pieces of paper help.
SBW

Anonymous said...

Sten
I guess the old saying "you near miss, what you never had." has some bearing on this topic.
Fortunately for me I started my hunting at a very early age. Whilst in my middle years in junior school in fact. The Deer Act was fully implemented so we were more or less as we are today.
I passed both the BDS WSC and ASC long before the DMQ's DSC1+2 reared their money making heads above the top of the dyke.I've subsequently done both the large and small game handling tickets in order to keep sending game into the game dealers.
Those that have come into the sport late, who have had the DSC's forced upon them if they wanted to get their FAC's or take the gamble on FA's stalking leases. Have nothing to base their judgement of whether the DCS paperwork quest was worthwhile, offered good value for money, made them better stalkers. As they have had little or no choice and didn't/don't have the experience to know otherwise.But they sure have paid thru the nose for the paper work now in their possession.

There are plenty of opportunities to shoot abroad without the need to hand over wads of hard earned to the directors of DMQ for irrelevant paperwork.If thats what takes your fancy.

Atb

Wilf