Thursday 13 September 2012

Fishing The River Usk Pt4

Look everyone SBW's rod is overshadowed by Lord Hereford's Knob

Every hobby starts with a hat, when stalking deer hats keep you warm and give you something to catch the rounds in when you unload the rifle, when fishing they keep off the sun [and more usually the rain]. Here I'm using a Sombrero as a training aid, the brim largely prevents overhead casting, entraining me in the art of the 'scrappy side cast' which will may put a fly under the overhanging bushes and trees which line the banks of the tributaries.

Opps that's another half hour untangling!

While we're on the subject of untangling I'm not sure if fishing causes divorce but its certainly one of its benefits, various chaps we invited to join us were 'mysteriously' busy after expressing initial enthusiasm.  As we canvased our friends looking for accomplices to join us on the trip, I noticed a new found unpopularity; with our talk of new GF's and fishing trips we were perhaps sounding a little too much like an escape committee, or at the very least Rebel Forces. To be crushed under the jackboots of the Empire.

For those of you who value a committed partnership AND fishing here's a few words of advice:

It’s a stunning summers morning. Three guys are fishing a Trout stream

Guy One:
“You have no idea what I had to promise the mrs to be here. I’m painting BOTH the kids rooms next weekend.”

Guy Two:
“That’s nothing I’m weeding the garden, BEFORE I reorganise her mother’s garage”.

Guys One and Two:
“What did you have to promise”?

Guy Three:
“Suckers, same as last week, I just set the alarm for 3am when it goes off I give her a nudge and say her Frolicking or Fishing? She said ‘Wear a hat, it’s cold out there’”.


On the subject of 'Conchita has left me' and hats. For those of us of a certain age, the Sombrero will always be synonymous with the now much missed 'Bandit' bar of our youth. Remember this one?



More soon
Your pal
SBW

5 comments:

Hippo said...

With Marcia being so broody if she sat on a golf ball it would hatch, I am not sure the 'Frolicking or Fishing' gambit would work out as intended. Mind you, I suppose I would get plenty of rod action, I am not sure about the side cast though...

Stroll over to http://magnonsmeanderings.blogspot.com/2012/09/la-chasse-aux-sangliers.html when you have the time, seems the local hunters are too busy. Maybe you and Bambibasher can give old Cro and his neighbours a hand.

Anonymous said...

You do realize many would consider that commercial politically incorrect now! I still remember the old(also now considered NOT P C) Fritos Corn Chip commercials with the cartoon character the "Frito Bandito" singing(to a well known Spanish theme)-"Aye yi yi yi; I am the Frito Bandito; I love Fritos corn chips; I love them I do; You have Fritos corn chips, I STEAL THEM FROM YOU!!!" And regarding fishing and divorce--on a similar note, I have a cousin who is a bigtime coonhunter, whose wife gets bent about him being out with the hounds all night. He got a T-shirt(that I'm sure could be modified to fit the fishing theme) that says"MY WIFE SAYS IF I GO COONHUNTIN' ONE MORE TIME SHE'S GONNA LEAVE ME!", and then in smaller letters beneath that "I'll miss her...."....L.B.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Hippo

My friend Johna has the same problem, but as they live in the heart of the village the hunt assoc is still trying to work out what to do. France, bureaucracy init.

SBW

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

LB

thanks for stopping by.

That coon hunting T shirt would mean something VERY different where i come from.

SBW

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Have I been inadvertantly politically incorrect myself? Well, it IS a sport I indulge in regularly, and usually inadvertantly. If you are referring to the comparison of "coons"(raccoons) to various ethnic groups of humans--I have never understood the supposed "insult" behind that--if someone called me a "coon", I'd just beam and say enthusiastically "Thank you!" Raccoons are some of the most intelligent, tough and capable fighters, cute with beautiful pelts(in good condition), versatile(I mean, they can climb, swim, and run great!), adaptable, survivor critters on the planet! But maybe that's because of "too much" red injun influence in my life, where comparisons with animals are a POSITIVE thing! And maybe I just better shut up before I piss-off everybody.....L.B.