Saturday 23 November 2013

Murray Carter: Knifemaker In The Yoshimoto Tradition


Carter from Cineastas on Vimeo.

Knives and filmmaking are, as ever, in my thoughts this week. I've been testing a knife by some canadian makers, and doing a little of the other kind of shooting - for my documentary about the making of the forgotten classic of London's soundsystem culture, Babylon.

So it was a delight when Tristan a director a Cineastas sent me a link to his film about Murray Carter; a Canadian who trained in Japan, eventually becoming the 17th Generation of Yoshimoto Bladesmith. Nice to watch skillful camera work of a master maker at his work.
While even his lower priced offerings will make most wives squeal '400 for a knife!' they represent pretty good value when you see what goes into making them. With Crimbo coming a bushwacker can dream, and drop hints.

Have a good weekend
your pal
SBW


2 comments:

Exploriment said...

The knives are nice and all...but what caught my attention was your mention of “for my documentary about the making of the forgotten classic of London's soundsystem culture, Babylon.”

Not sure I’ve heard of them, and I have some familiarity with soundsystems. What time frame are we talking about? 70’s, 80’s, 90’s?

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Exploriment

And that's why we're making it, 'Babylon' is the greatest music film you've never seen, a film so underground that its main form of distribution for thirty years has been home-pirated VHS!

Email me for updates
SBW