Friday 11 October 2013

Obscure Outdoor Brands Pt1


All the best outdoor gear is made by companies, with rubbish websites - Truism

All kinds of people start outdoor goods companies, some of them make total crap [I've started a list it's HERE] some of them are driven by a need to prove a point to their former company, some sold the last co. but love to tinker with designs and keep their hand in. Some just go out of their way to behave strangely....

The Bambi Basher and I are heading north of the border in the new year for a week on the Hinds - stalking female Red Deer - and expecting the usual Caledonian weather I resolved to sort my 'cold but active' kit out.It's no secret that I favor kit made by people who use it themselves, and make it in small batches over kit made to a price by faceless corporations. Sometime this involves dealing with the foibles of the kind of company that swims against the stream.

A longtime ago the don of uk sporting journalists James Marchington posted that he'd flashed up the not inconsiderable cost of a fleece by XXXX, so after a subsequent post where he'd been out in all weathers I asked him if it lived up to its reputation and cost. "Better, you can see why so many keepers wear them on the hill". Searching online I found a website so bad that my first thought was that I'd gotten the wrong end of the stick and the company actually was based in New Zealand - home of the crap website.
In the years that have followed I've kept checking back and its still atrocious, tiny pictures of people who may be wearing the clothes, taken from angles that don't really let you know what the gear may or may not be like.There are quite a few online mentions of the brand, from Stalkers and Gamekeepers, universal in their praise, many citing the only drawback as being 'too warm for most of the year'. Keepers earn very little and spend all day every day mooching about in the cold and rain, while some get a clothing allowance, most have to spend it out of their own pocket. Their endorsement bodes well.

A couple of years ago while at a game fare,  I wandered over to the XXXX stand to learn a bit more. I had a very affable chat about jacket design with a distinguished looking gent and found that my hand had involuntarily grasped my bank card and was drawing it from my pocket. The website claims that any special requests could easily be accommodated, so in the light of our pleasant chat I asked if a couple of tweaks to the jacket were available. Scrub that, I'd only got as far as asking about the first when suddenly 'Dr No' (I assume the company's owner) burst into the conversation, making it abundantly clear, at volume, that no tweaking would be taking place on his watch. Dismayed, but not disheartened to the point of circumspection, I spent the money with another retailer where I got a thumping deal on a pair of Lundhags and change.

Fast forward to last week

I found a fella with a shop in Scotland who could do a bit of a deal on the brand, so I asked about another tweak I'd thought of; I'm a big fan of 'breeks' the traditional short field trousers of the british isles. I'm also a big fan of kneepads, I'd like to be able to fit kneepads into the breeks, he kindly got in touch with Dr No. Who lived down to expectations. Once again claiming that it was 'impossible' this time as the breeks would have to come further than the requisite four inches below the knee. Oh the horror!

More soon
Your pal
SBW

PICTURE CREDIT


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sten
PMSL here.
I've been wearing that very same company's products for some 20 years. After meeting with the veritable "Dr No" whilst I was shopping for some gear in Crocharts at Blairgowrie.
I started off with their stalkers smock. I now have their Quadrider smock, their zippered coat and plus 4's along with their 3 seasons jacket which is now discontinued.I'm considering purchasing a pair of their new salopettes when sufficient funds become available before I take my annual crack at the sika hinds in Jan/Feb
I've never felt the need to add a design tweak to any of their products. As they get the design well sorted before putting the product out into the market IMO.
I'd certainly never want foam knee pads added to any breeks or trousers intended for use whilst hill stalking. Regardless of how thin or how flexible they might be. You'll find that you do far more walking where such pads are more of an incomberance than a comfort. When crawling into your deer they are never in the right place.
You'll fair far better with a good pair of well proportioned plus4's.

Atb

Wilf

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Wilf
I thought you'd like this one.
Its of course a relief to hear that you've not felt the need to modify the designs - to my mind there are a couple of school boy errors but we'll come to those another time.

I'm very taken with the wading jacket though, that would seem to be one place where the good Dr has thought of everything, but we'll see i've not ordered mine yet.

I agree with you about the salopettes, they look very good - King of the mountain Treestand Bibs but about 25% of the weight

Knee pads have moved on - take a look at the Snickers flooring installer's trousers, I'm wearing a pair as i write - much better than the plumbing pants, ironically the pictures on the Snickers site won't show you how good they are.The addition of a piece of elastic (adjustable) behind the knee keeps the pads centralised. Just works.

what does PMSL stand for?

SBW

Anonymous said...

Sten
I base my no design change needed comment upon several decades of wearing practical, foul weather outer layer clothing that ranged from bad thru indifferent to good.My only requirements are performance and practicallity. I'm inclined to ignore whimsical current fashion needs or perceived additional embellishments.I'll happily do with less pockets, flaps, pouches, fastenings etc, as long as the basic garment works to my satisfaction in regards to breathability, durability,and weather protection performance.

I no longer fish so I've never taken a look at their waders & wading jackets although I know it was in that extremely competitive arena that they first made their mark.

King of the Mountain bibs might be lighter but are they as water/windproof/silent like the aforementioned salopettes. I don't think so.They might be ok in the dry cold of a north american winter where you spend you day in a deer stand but I seriously doubt they would work well in a wet january when on a Argyll hind culling foray.

I'm familiar with the Snickers Floor layers pants. They are good to wear during the spring trapping season when you're on and off the quad and having to kneel when setting or checking trap and snares. I still wouldn't want theirs or any other makers brand of knee pads in a pair of hill/woodland stalking strides.
PMSL is/was text speak for 'Pissing myself laughing.'

Atb

Wilf




The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Wilf

"I'm inclined to ignore whimsical current fashion needs or perceived additional embellishments."
How do you know that's what i was asking for? I thought the hello kitty trim was a very practical request that was sure to be adopted by others

I'm fascinated by the waders Dr No dosent seem to sell them anymore?

Other way round KOM would be much heavier

Re text speak shame on me, not as down with the kids as I hoped

SBW

Anonymous said...

Sten
How did I know what you were asking for? Well, I've never yet met a gear junkie that didn't feel the need for whimsical fashion, or perceived embellishment. I had you more down for touches of the Dora the Explorer than Hello Kitty.
Strange that they have creased selling the waders. Pretty sure it was one of their mainstay products when they broke into the market.
Atb

Wilf

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Wilf

LOL guilty as charged, that's all part of the fun.

SBW