Saturday 24 November 2012

Andy Richardson: Goose Hunting In Scotland



My pal Andy Richardson is something of a legend amongst sportsman traveling north of the border, with an impressive track record of guiding for lowland Roe deer and Pink-Leg Geese. What a lot of people dont know is that Andy is as handy with a camera as he is with Rod, Gun and Rifle.

Last year Andy and Myself took comedian Paul Merton for a few wee jaunts in the Kingdom of Fife with, err, amusing results. You can read all about it..

How To Get On TV

Fieldsports In Scotland Part One

Recently he's been rifling though his address book to put together a video archive of Scotland's leading sportsman showing their passions and techniques. This time of year the chaps are hard at it Goose shooting over the beet crops.

I'll be posting more of Andy's videos as the series develops.

To join Andy for a days sport, pop me an email [contacts at top of page] and I'll put you in touch with him. Some lucky sports might even have dinner cooked by me waiting for them at the end of the day! and if you're very good we'll take you 'Estuary Rabbit Hunting'.

More as soon as I find the time to write it up
SBW

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merton is a closet anti,and is about as funny as a colostomy with a leak.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Untrue, Merton told us from the off that he was was squeamish about hunting himself, but as a meat eater he didn't oppose us doing it, funny guy too.

Said some nice things about you.
SBW

Anonymous said...

"Said some nice things about you."
I seriously doubt that.

"funny guy too"
I stand by my earlier observations.
I cant see him supporting fox hunting.

Steve Bodio said...

Good shooting, SBW! I am curious-- gun geek question-- are the shooters you know still using traditional big bores like 8's for wildfowl?

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Anon

Yeah I was joking.

That says more about the scope of your imagining than it does about PM


SBW

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Steve B

Yes there are a few; Shooter has a 10, James had a 4 at one point and The bambi basher bering the kind of chap he is will have at least two in every size from garden gun to well he'd have a punt gun if the tea lady would let him keep it on the lawn - garage is full!

SBW

Anonymous said...

"Anon

Yeah I was joking.

That says more about the scope of your imagining than it does about PM"

Funny, I thought you were just being sarcastic. Perhaps humour doesn't travel that well in the blogsphere. Much like Mertons style of funny man.

The imagination is just fine. As is my nose for sarcasm.

Anonymous said...

"I am curious-- gun geek question-- are the shooters you know still using traditional big bores like 8's for wildfowl?"

Some of us still do but the cost is getting high.A lot of guys load their own cartridges for that reason, mostly 8 bores. I laid up my old cannon a few years ago and swapped over to a s/a 10 gauge 31/2" magnum. Not quite the same but the geese don't know the difference.

Sgarland said...

Learn some Spanish, I hear that the bird hunting in Argentina and Uruguay is spectacular. Http://stanleygarland.info
Have you ever hunted in s.america?

Steve Bodio said...

Would love to see a post on such some time, with pics.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Stanley

No I'v not been yet, but its long been a wish to Bowhunt Capybara. i have been taking er 'Spanish lessons' though.
SBW

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Steve

I may be able to oblige shortly
SBW

Spencer said...

I really wish I didn't come across this post.. Go and get some morals please and stop spreading violence and murder!

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Spencer

Thank you for taking the trouble to write in.

As the post is titled "goose hunting' I feel we can surmise that you didn't 'come across' the post but in fact deliberately read/watched it.

As you would know if you had taken the trouble to read more of my writing - for instance the 'what's this blog is about' header this blog is the chronicle of my journey towards a life that is a closer fit to my moral position. My morals may not be the same as yours but that doesn't negante them.

There is violence in the death of hunted animals, to my mind a preferable kind to the violence of the way animals die in the industrialised food chain. Rest assured, as you'll also see though further reading my attempts to 'spread the violence' are not always successful

As my blog isn't about the killing of humans you'll find it is refreshingly 'murder' free

regards
SBW