Friday 23 March 2012

Hunting Shows: David Petzal AKA Spokesfart Speaks


You might not know this, but I'm a big big fan of David E Petzal's writing, sure I pissed myself laughing when he endorsed Sarah Palin on the somewhat spurious grounds that he believed her to be a hunter and gun owner, but there are very few writers who have such an assured touch or speak so directly to their audience. I cant imagine him thinking I'm anything other than an annoying European smart arse, but he wouldn't be the first rightwing gun nut that I'd found to be great company. I'd dearly like to spend some time with him turning over stones looking for common ground and learning about riflery from the last of the old school of American gun writers.

This week he posted his thoughts on Hunting Shows


Third, and most important: Invariably, when someone kills something, there follow high-fives, hog calls, whoops of joy, and general all-around merriment.
To the hunter, I say: All you did, numbnuts, was pull the trigger. Without your guide, you’d be sitting in the blind scratching yourself. Why are you acting like a hero? Also, you’ve just taken the life of something that wanted to live as much as you do. Congratulations are in order, maybe, but show a little respect. Other cultures manage it; I’ve seen them.

You can read the rest of 'What Cheeses Me Off about TV Hunting Shows' HERE

Good call Dave

More Soon
SBW

5 comments:

Exploriment said...

I don't recall giving him permission to use a photo of my girlfriend.....

A few years back I house/cat-sat for some friends, who not only have a TV (I do not) and a whole lot of channels. (They also left me something nice which made TV watching even more enjoyable. :-})

One of the channels I watched a whole lot was the Hunting and Fishing channel. (I think that's what it was called.) A lot of those shows were just a couple of yokels, who somehow sweet talked some manufacturers into paying them some money to feature their logo on their cringe inducing glowing, rotating, spinning, zooming, pulsating graphics intro. Drive an ATV a half click, sit in a tree stand, take a shot I'm not sure you should be showing anyone on TV, if you're trying to gain some cred as a hunting "expert". Start the chase after that animal in the full light of day, and then when they find it in the pitch black, do some hooting and hollering between panting gasps. How about a little reverence and respect for that animal, you out of shape putz?

Even worse were the fishing shows. Obese bubbas on a boat getting progressively more wasted as the day wore on. Of course, not wearing a PFD. "I don't need one of them faggy life vests. I'm a great swimmer."

Intriguing for a day or two, and then I went off and did something more productive.

The Urban Sportsman said...

I also love Petzal's writings and wit. I knew my wife loved me when I first discovered his blog and she let me stay up late at night reading her his entries which I think she secretly enjoyed.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

TUS

The great proof of his skill is that even people who actively dislike rifles, enjoy the way he puts a sentence together. Less rifle-centric, but also worth a look are the writings of Chad Love - the greatest writer afield of our generation. Nice fella too.

SBW

Unknown said...

He is the best there is in the outdoor industry. A walking encyclopedia of guns and their use and up keep!! May you live forever,Sir!!

Unknown said...

Dave is truly the best at what he does. His opinions are true. He is THE best writer about rifles. Straight, true, advice you can trust. God bless him