Sunday 30 May 2010

PETA - The Press Release Factory

Said it before and I'm sure I'll be saying it again:

Peta vs Animals


You're upset at what you've seen: Me too
You think there must be a fairer way: Me too
With respect, do your own thinking, Ingrid just aint smart enough to do it for you.
1. The smallest form of life, even an ant or a clam, is equal to a human being.
-Ingrid Newkirk, PETA

2. We feel animals have the same rights as a retarded human child.
-Alex Pacheco (PETA)

3. Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughter houses.
-Ingrid Newkirk (PETA)

4. Pet ownership is an “absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.”
-Ingrid Newkirk, PETA

5. Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are “acceptable crimes” when used for the animals’ cause.
-Alex Pacheco (PETA)

6. Even if animal tests produced a cure for AIDS, “We’d be against it.”
-Ingrid Newkirk, PETA

7. “Animal liberationists do not separate out the human animal, so there is no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They’re all mammals.”
Ingrid Newkirk – Founder, PETA

8. “Humans have grown like cancer. We’re the biggest blight on the face of the planet.”
Ingrid Newkirk – Founder, PETA

9. “…Eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship, enjoyment at a distance.”
Ingrid Newkirk – Founder, PETA

10. “We have a lazy, sick society. People bring diseases on themselves. [People should] avoid getting the disease in the first place.”
Dan Mathews – PETA spokesperson

11. “Homelessness drives me crazy! I take responsibility for everything that happens to me. Everyone can pull themselves up. I have more sympathy for animals because they don’t deserve anything that happens to them. They’re innocent.”
PETA member – “What Becomes a Zealot Most?”, GQ Magazine November 1993

12. “In a perfect world, all other than human animals would be free of human interference, dogs and cats would part of the ecological scheme.”
PETA’s Statement on Companion Animals

13. “Probably everything we do is a publicity stunt…We are not here to gather members, to please, to placate, to make friends. We’re here to hold
the radical line.”
Ingrid Newkirk – Founder, PETA
As I said; Ingrid just aint smart enough.

SBW

10 comments:

Holly Heyser said...

PETA doesn't bother me much because it's so ineffective. I can't tell you how many college students I've met who went vegetarian in high school because of some PETA literature, only to abandon vegetarianism a couple years later and disassociate themselves from that nutty group.

I only get irked when Ingrid Newkirk lies. I've found her to be much more willing to make unfounded statements than the leadership of HSUS, which tends to be more careful (though they definitely slip up too).

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Maybe the coverage here is a little different: PETA manage to get puff pieces written about themselves in the mainstream press celebrating their activism, and celebrity influence. Unquestioningly.

I like the graphic - simple facts that shine a whole new light on the organisation and their modus operandi.

Here we have an organisation called the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals - who sometimes like to present themselves as the 'animal police' where as all they actually are is a charity, and one that has been pretty harshly criticized by the courts too.

SBW

Holly Heyser said...

Seriously?!?!?

Lord, every time we got a PETA press release in my newsrooms, we'd groan. Sorry to hear your media is more infatuated with them.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

The puff piece I'm thinking of was gross.

Basically it was about one of the communications team, and his attempts to meet some fashion designer, got arrested etc. meets him and shows him a clip of some barbaric treatment of animals, claims this one example is every example and gets a commitment not to use fur.

All presented a a jolly jape by a charming young man. WTF! WTF!! WTF!!!

SBW

LSP said...

Well said Bushwacker - I'm off to buy Ma LSP another fur coat...

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting to see if I get my LEH (Limited Entry Hunt) for moose this fall! I've also put in to mule deer. I hope to go elk hunting in Alberta too now that I've got Alberta hunter (read cowboy) contacts!

Hope to host you here one year SBW.

Kristeva

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

HDR

I'm working on it
SBW

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

LSP

only sensible really
SBW

William @ AnglerWise said...

The only thing equal to the smallest form of life is PETA. Actually, I think that is even to much. I don't feel at all threatened by PETA because everyone knows that they are nuts.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

William

Crazy chicks with windswept breasts, ahhh

If only they'd drop the whole no meat - anti hunting thing i'd already have joined.

SBW